Subscribe and get 8% OFF on your first purchase
Microsoft Office Skills Top Employer Lists of Must-Haves
- 2017-06-20 9:21 AM
According to an article written by GeekWire in 2016, the top three software skills job listings in the United States feature are Microsoft Office related. Being a proficient user of Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint wins you points with prospective employers. That’s why it’s important to learn all the different programs you can when you buy MS Office.
The more proficient you are at using Office, the better chance you have of landing a position with the company of your choice. Employers want skilled workers who have no problem creating spreadsheets, emailing clients, and typing up reports. If you lack these skills, you can follow tutorials or even sign up for a class to become better at performing specific tasks within the software suite.
The Balance lists the top MS Office skills by program starting with Excel. If you’re lacking in any of these areas, you’ll want to improve your proficiency before updating your resume. Once you’ve mastered them, you can list them in the skill section of your CV where employers are sure to take notice of them.
Desirable Microsoft Excel Skills
Here’s what you’re going to want to know how to do in Microsoft Excel:
- Pivot tables. Make parsing data easier by learning how to automatically sort and average data using pivot tables.
- Fill function. There comes a time when you’ll need to duplicate a spreadsheet. With this function, you can apply information to the sheets automatically. There is no manual entry.
- Formatting. You can make your spreadsheets look fantastic by exploring font sizes, colors that match your branding, and uniform spacing.
MS Word Skills That Grab the Attention of Employers
Knowing how to do the following in MS Word, gives you better job prospects:
- Formatting and page setup. Setting up different types of documents in Word takes skill. It’s one thing that employers look for because of the sheer number of electronic and print documents they send out. Being able to format a document properly and set up the pages with numbers, columns, and headers makes a difference in the eyes of employers.
- Using SmartArt & textboxes. If you want to create flyers or signs, you’ll want to know how to create something other than text-only documents. You don’t have to be proficient at Photoshop or Illustrator if you know how to create SmartArt in MS Word. You’ll be able to create shapes and text boxes effortlessly. This helps create a visual presentation that impresses the companies you apply to.
PowerPoint Skills That Get You Noticed
PowerPoint skills you’ll want to brush up on include:
- Working with custom slides and templates. Being able to create custom slides from scratch is a skill that many employers admire. Having a good sense of composition allows you to include all of the elements that need to be put in a PowerPoint presentation in a way that appeals to the audience. Using color and balance, you’re able to convey your message in a way that is relatable and informative.
- Animation. Adding animations to text and images in PowerPoint makes your presentations stand out even more. Knowing how to zoom in on specific elements helps you drive home a point you’re trying to make. If you’re able to include animations in your presentations, future employers will love you for it. They’re always looking for ways to stand out from the competition.
Some other skills that are very handy include setting up Auto Reply, updating Calendars, configuring email settings, creating databases, documents, forms, labels, and presentations, emailing, grammar checking, printing, scheduling, and sending attachments. A full list of skills in alphabetical order can be viewed on The Balance’s website. It’s handy to refer to it so you can continue to build your skills using Microsoft Office programs.
Buy a Copy of MS Office Today and Brush Up on Your Skills
MS Office skills remain desirable. You can brush up on yours when you download Microsoft Office for Mac or PC. You’ll find the right version to meet your system’s needs at Software Keep. We carry the latest versions of Microsoft Office for home, business, and academic purposes.
You can buy MS Office from us and within minutes have Student Microsoft Office downloaded on your home computer. If landing a job outside of college is your objective, you’ll develop the skills necessary to attract the employer of your dreams.