Top 3 Reasons Why you need to Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro
If you’ve been considering upgrading from your Windows 10 Home edition to a Pro edition, then this guide is for you. While Windows 10 Home has excellent features that most users need, the Pro version still holds a lot of perks for anyone who decides to upgrade.
Here are 3 reasons why you should consider upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, as well as how you should go about the upgrading process. In addition, you’ll also read about important things to note with regards to updating your Windows 10 edition from Home to Pro.
Reasons to Upgrade
With Windows 10 Pro, you get all the benefits that Windows Home has and more. Particularly, you will get more connectivity and privacy tools, which are far more sophisticated and advanced than the ones available on the Home version.
One of the tools available on the Windows 10 Pro version is Assigned Access 8.1. With this tool, you are able to prevent other user accounts from gaining access to specific apps. What’s more, a device guard is also present in the Pro version.
Bitlocker is also available and you are able to encrypt external hard drives with it. Bitlocker is quite possibly one of the most powerful encryption tools and if you’re all about security, then you’ll need the added perk.
As for connectivity, Windows 10 Pro gives you seamless access to the Azure Active Directory, as well as to a Business Store that’s specifically for Windows 10 users. Joining a business or school domain is made easier with Windows 10 Pro and you will also have access to a remote desktop if you upgrade.
The clincher that Windows 10 Pro offers is the Hyper-V, where you have the ability to create virtual machines as well as operate them. This means that you are able to use different operating systems at one point in time on your computer.
Is It Free?
This is one of the most-asked questions when it comes to upgrading to Pro and to answer it, you are able to upgrade your Windows 10 Home to Pro version for a 30-day free trial. This way, you will be able to determine whether you’ll benefit from the additional features.
However, to continue using the service after the 30 days, you’ll need to activate the installation process. After the free trial, upgrading to the Windows 10 Pro version is not free and you will need to purchase the upgrade license.
Things to Note When Upgrading
- The upgrade may take a few minutes to longer hours, depending on the configuration of your computer. Typically, though, it should take around 30 minutes or so.
- Further Windows updates will be automatic for Windows 10 home users, while Pro users have a limited ability to postpone these updates.
- You may need to free up some disk space for a completed upgrade; you’ll be prompted on how to do this during the upgrade, if necessary.
- Even if disk space isn’t limited before the upgrade, it may become nearly full after, so free up some disk space by deleting temporary files or deleting the previous Windows version through your PC’s storage settings. Either way, these files are deleted 10 days after you upgrade.
- Internet access is needed for the upgrade to complete and because it is a large file, ISP fees may apply.
- Some devices may not be compatible with the Windows 10 Pro, so contact your device’s manufacturer to determine compatibility.
- Most files, settings, and apps will migrate with the upgrade. Anti-malware applications are especially at risk of getting affected, depending on compatibility and how current the version is.
- Third-party applications may also not get migrated due to compatibility issues.
- The Family Safety settings will not be migrated, so parents should take note that they need to reset their child user settings after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.
- Take note of the necessary system requirements before upgrading.
It’s important to note that upgrading to Windows 10 Pro is not an absolute necessity, especially if the Home edition features will suffice for your needs. However, there are certain people who will benefit greatly from the added features of the Pro edition; if you’re one of them, then it’s advisable that you upgrade.